Food Allergies

Dear Parent/Carers


FOOD ALLERGIES are becoming increasingly common among children.   We have a number of students in school who have a severe allergy to nuts/ other allergens - any exposure to these items, even a tiny amount, could be potentially very serious and life threatening for these children.

 

If someone has a nut allergy it is not just eating nuts that can cause a severe reaction, just being touched on the skin or smelling the breath of someone has had nuts or a product containing nuts can trigger anaphylactic shock (which can cause breathing and swallowing difficulties).

 

We do ask our students and families to help make the school environment safer for all students.  We cannot have nuts in school in any form, so please can we ask that you have no nut products in lunch boxes or brought into school as treats.  By following these simple suggestions:

 

·         Please avoid sending any foods that contain nuts, such as peanut butter or Nutella sandwiches, muesli or health bars with nuts, biscuits/cookies that contains nuts, as well as cakes that contains nuts, some Asian food including satay, sauces that contain nuts to school with your child.   This list is not exhaustive, so please check the packaging of products closely.

 

·         Please remind your child never to share his/her food and drinks with other students.

 

We greatly appreciate your support for children with food allergies. Together we can make a difference.

 

Thank you for helping to support our school community.     If you have any questions please do not hesitate to speak with a member of staff.